WHY JOIN THE PROFESSIONAL LAND SURVEYORS OF COLORADO, INC. ?
The Professional Land Surveyors of Colorado, Inc. (PLSC) is the professional land surveyors’ society in Colorado. The PLSC represents land surveyors’ interests in the State, proposes new legislation and changes to existing legislation as the industry’s needs change, and works with the State Board of Licensure as an advocate for Land Surveyors. As a Land Surveyor in Colorado, it is important for you to become a member of your professional organization.
The PLSC offers several levels of membership:
Regional Chapters of PLSC, Inc.
•Northwest ¼ Colorado Land Surveyors
•Northern Chapter – PLSC, Inc.
•Southern Colorado Professional Land Surveyors
•Southwest Chapter - PLSC, Inc.
•Western Colorado Land Surveyors
•Central Colorado Professional Surveyors
Members have access to benefits and services including the following:
• PLSC Voting Membership includes membership in the National Society of Professional Surveyors. NSPS members can access exclusive discounts on products and services they use the most. The best part, it’s completely FREE
. No fees, no obligations – just great business and personal saving benefits! Click here
to view promotional flyer, or visit nsps.savingscenter.net
Office Depot: up to 80% off office essentials
YRC: 83% off tradeshow & LTL shipping
Hotel Engine: up to 60% off 100,000 hotels for business & personal travel
AccountingDepartment.com: discounted online accounting services
Sterling Talent Solutions: 54% off fast, reliable & complete background checks
Avis/Budget: up to 35% off personal & business rentals nationwide
Ticket Deals: up to 60% on tickets to theme parks, movies & more
Reward Shopping: up to 30% cash back rebates at over 1,200 online stores
USPAY: credit card processing rates less than 1%
ADP: up to 20% off payroll services
Oasis: discounted PEO & HR services
FedEx: up to 54% off express & ground shipping
• PLSC is highly involved in proposing legislation that affects surveying, education, continuing education and other relevant laws. Whether you agree or disagree with legislation that the PLSC has supported, you need to be a member to have your voice heard.
• PLSC has informational & educational workshops at its annual meeting. These workshops bring in speakers from around the state and around the country to speak on topics that are relevant to surveyors, from Laws, Ethics and Least Squares, to CORS stations and GIS networks.
•PLSC sponsors the educational opportunities for members and future land surveyors. The Surveying & Mapping program at Metro State College of Denver, the only four-year accredited program in the state; The Colorado Land Surveying Refresher course to help prepare Survey Interns to take their LS exam; The McComber Mentoring Programs - an excellent way to get an overview of some of the many facets of Land Surveying; And the PLSC awards scholarships to students enrolled in Surveying, GIS or other mapping related programs.
•The PLSC has several regional chapters, one of which serves the area you live in. The chapters meet regularly and have workshops and guest speakers to discuss various topics of interest to land surveyors in that region. The meetings also provide members an opportunity to communicate with others and keep abreast of the latest techniques and equipment.
•The PLSC has worked to establish a Real Time Reference Network in Colorado. A special Chapter, the Colorado Spatial Reference Network of the PLSC, has been formed for this purpose.
•The PLSC magazine, “Side Shots”, is a quarterly publication that keeps members up to date on important activities of the PLSC, the latest legislative information, and upcoming events that would be of interest to surveyors.
•The PLSC offers its members an insurance program. The PLSC Insurance Program offers a full selection of commercial and personal lines of insurance to members of the PLSC.
•Voting members of the PLSC are also automatically members of the National Society of Professional Surveyors, which entitles them to the following benefits through NSPS:
- Advocacy Program
- Political Action Committee (PAC)
- US Congress
- Federal Agencies
- Assistance on state specific matters (if requested)
- Other geospatial organizations
- International Federation of Surveyors (FIG)
- Coalition of Geospatial Organizations (COGO)
- ABET-Lead Society for surveying/geomatics program evaluation for accreditation
- Scholarship Program – 15 annual awards
- NCEES – Participating Organizations Liaisons Council (POLC)
- ALTA/ACSM Land Title Survey Requirements
- NSPS Model Standards
- Outreach Opportunities
- Boys Scouts Surveying Merit Badge
- National Surveyors Week
- Certification Programs
- Reduced rates for Certified Survey Technician Program
- Hydrographic Certification opportunities
- NSPS News and Views weekly newsletter – Sign up
- NSPS Radio Hour 11:00 am Eastern every Monday
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter @nspsinc
- Visit our Blog at dualfrequency.blogspot.com
- NSPS You Tube Channel
However, all these benefits and services do not completely convey why a PLSC membership is so important to Land Surveyors in Colorado.
Perhaps the most important benefit is dissemination of information. News of what is going on in our profession, data on the latest technologies, trends in and development of rules and legislation and government regulations, and the list goes on.
Or maybe PLSC's most important benefit is opportunity. The opportunity to network with peers from across Colorado, across the west, and across the nation through relationships with other state surveyor’s societies. Another opportunity is to increase one's proficiency and efficiency through education and the acquisition of new skills in our ever-evolving technology. Being part of the PLSC provides members with the opportunity to make a difference in our profession and to our fellow citizens.
Finally, there is the benefit of active participation in the future of our profession. Surveying is rapidly changing - LIDAR, GIS and land information systems, GPS, CAD. How many were involved in these just a few years ago? We are truly in the digital age. These new technologies are revolutionizing the way we do our work! We are facing higher educational standards, stricter requirements for financial responsibility and a mutual responsibility for competence. Beyond all of this, lies the ability to help shape the future, in cooperation with other surveyors, doing collectively that which we cannot do ourselves. PLSC is and will be at the forefront of these developments.
To sum it up, PLSC provides access. Access to people, access to information, access to opportunity, and access to your future.
PROFESSIONAL LAND SURVEYORS OF COLORADO, INC.
AFFILIATE – AMERICAN CONGRESS ON SURVEYING AND MAPPING
MEMBER – COLORADO ENGINEERING COUNCIL
MEMBER – WESTERN FEDERATION OF PROFESSIONAL SURVEYORS